Sunday, 6 March 2011

High Tea Party - part I

I'm going to throw a High Tea Party together with a small group of friends and family (ladies only). It's a perfect event to catch up on each other's live and to gossip.
This traditional social get-together can be traced back to British society during the era of royalty. Today it can be organized not only by the rich and wealthy but by anyone who wants to organize a classy and social afternoon.

As mentioned above I've invited ladies only (I don't think it would appeal to men anyway) and they were all excited about the idea. To make this event successful I did some research and found out it's not something you can do without a proper planning. If you want to do it right!
First the theme for the table setting. I will go for a classic/trendy look (I will place a picture in part II of this topic) . Next step is to think about the food I want to serve my guests and put together a 3-course menu of sweet and savory dishes. At least I will put scones on the menu fresh from the oven. What could be a more classic teatime treat than scones.


I have never made scones before but thought that I would try them. I made them with strawberry jam and clotted cream. Other dishes I will put on the menu are cupcakes, salmon sandwiches, chocolate cake and some savory snacks. 
I'm still in the planning mode and before the event takes place I want to try a few more recipes. 

So far part I of the "Hight Tea" t
opic. I will keep you posted.

Meanwhile on request of some friends here's the scone recipe to make approx 16 little scones. Prepare on the day of the event.





* 300 grams self raising flour * 1 teaspoon baking powder * 0.5 tsp salt * 75gram butter or margarine (room temperature) * 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar * 25 gr sugar * 1.25 dl milk * 1 egg 
* raspberry jam  and  cream
Preparation
Preheat oven to 240 degrees. Cover baking tray with baking paper. 
Sift flour with baking powder and salt over bowl. Add the vanilla sugar and sugar. Cut butter into small pieces and mix through the flour. Beat egg with milk, bring mixture to flour and knead ball into a coherent whole. Roll out dough into a piece of about a fingertip high.
Stick out about 16 rounds with a cutter or a glass. Lay the round pieces on the baking sheet, bake scones brown in about 10 minutes.

Serving Tips: Cut open the scone, cover with cream and jam. 


 
Laureen

No comments: